Taxes are the Price of Living in a Civilized Society

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Giving The Man His Dues....

     Glenn Beck... One of the most polarizing figures in politics today, his over dramatic and often soap opera-esk antics have made him a right wing hero and the face of “evil” for most democrats and liberals. I myself tend to fall into the later; I find his antics and rants to be nothing more than cheap, poorly thought out, short sighted divisive rhetoric. With that being said, I fully expected his recent Restoring Honor Rally to be another all day Tea Party convention. Yet for all the expectations, the visions of anti-Obama, anti-Democrat, "the way it used to be" chants never came to be. While still clearly conservatively and christian based, Mr. Beck and the other speakers stayed true to their promise of avoiding any purely political agendas. Instead they focused more the idea of restoring traditional religious and moral values, and warned of the possible consequences facing our country if we fail to do so.
    
     To be honest I really only have one major complaint about the event; I believe that the choice of time and location for this rally was unbelievably disrespectful and nothing more than a “Head Line” stunt. For the individuals involved to schedule the event on the anniversary of the Civil Rights March is degrading and insulting to the legacy and memory of Rev. King and all those who took part in what was clearly one of the defining moments in our nations history.

     With all things considered though, I really must give Glenn Beck his dues I thought much too less of him prior to this event to take any statements or promises given by him even remotely serious. He showed a great deal more restraint and consideration than I gave him credit for,

… and for that Mr. Beck I applaud you, well atleast until the next time we have to endure another teary-eyed Fox News highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment